Monday, June 20, 2011

In Constant Prayer, by Robert Benson

When I first became aware of the book, I was attracted to what I thought it was going to be about. I had thought it would be an exhortation and advice on the concept of praying always, as St. Paul urges. I had hoped that it would inspire me to redouble my efforts and perhaps help me learn new ways and means to pray. Make it an even greater part of my everyday life. Take time from my schedule for my relationship with God. Instead, the book is about the Liturgy of the Hours, or Divine Office. I have prayed the Office for years, although mainly Morning Prayer and only on occasion. I do love the rhythm that The Office offers, and the fact that it opens up the Psalms to be prayed when I might not otherwise pay attention to them. And then there is the discipline. Benson offers a quote from a friend: "the three greatest obstacles to the spiritual life are inertia, amnesia and manana." The Office, done in community, gives greater motivation to be faithful to prayer, similar to how the Anonymous groups keep a recovering person the support and structure s/he needs to keep on his/her journey. I know I need to be similarly supported on my journey. So, even though the book was not what I was anticipating, this does not take away from its value. It makes a strong case, from anecdotes from various people's lives, about the value of the Office, and pleads (softly) for the reader to consider joining a community to pray. It is light reading, and made me rethink my commitment to the community with whom I infrequently pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment